Development Permit Information Sheet
Who is Aquatera?
Aquatera Utilities Inc was formed in 2003 by the City of Grande Prairie, the County of Grande Prairie and the Town of Sexsmith, becoming the first regional utility corporation in Alberta. We service a population of approximately 60,000, providing water, wastewater and solid waste services.
Why do I need to contact Aquatera prior to development?
Property Owners, Developers or their Agents must contact Aquatera Utilities to address conditions in the “Notice of Decision”. It is important to discuss with Aquatera how the property is to be serviced and metered to ensure compliance with standards and avoid unexpected or excessive servicing costs.
- If any new or upgraded service connections are required for your development, the portion of that service located on public property must be installed by Aquatera, with no exceptions. In these cases, you will be required to provide servicing details, complete a “Water & Sanitary Sewer Service Connection Application” and pre-pay the entire connection cost as determined by Aquatera, prior to construction.
- There may be other water or wastewater related requirements that apply to your proposed development.
- You will need to apply for a utility account and pay Aquatera’s “Infrastructure Charge and / or Meter Fees” in place at time of payment.
- All Aquatera requirements in the Notice of Decision or otherwise must be satisfied before water services will be turned on and a water meter will be installed.
What is Aquatera’s Infrastructure Charge?
Aquatera’s Infrastructure Charge is a contribution by new or newly serviced development towards the water and wastewater infrastructure needed to accommodate growth. The cost of the infrastructure charge is based on the water service size between the property line and the meter. It is a demand based charge that increases rapidly with the size of the service. Infrastructure Charge Policy
Who do I contact at Aquatera for information on my development needs?
You will need to complete three steps:
- Water and Sanitary Sewer Servicing details and other unique requirements contact through Technical Services - Infrastructure Development Coordinator
- Water & Sanitary Sewer Service Connection Application contact Technical Services - Development Engineer/Technologist
- Infrastructure & Meter Application Charges contact Customer Billing
See our Contact page for ways to contact these areas